Thursday, March 01, 2007

I'm a Presidential convention delegate!

Proud To Be A Delegate - Unity08.com
I've decided to put my mouse where my mouth is. I have become a delegate in a new web-based, grass-roots movement to elect a moderate presidential ticket that will be comprised of a candidate from each party. It's called Unity08. It circumvents the current broken primary system that allows a dozen states to choose the candidates with the most money to drop in their television markets - money contributed by a powerful minority. It will hopefully address the issues the majority of Americans care about rather than the hot-button issues that pander to the ultra-left and ultra-right special interests.

Here's a video clip of actor Sam Waterston explaining the idea and motivation behind this movement:


It's not perfect (the delegates range from libertarian to populist to merely fed up) but it's not business as usual, either. Just going with my gut. And honestly, I don't care if it splits the vote for either party. I really don't.

Hopefully Unity08 will get on the ballot in Alabama. There's a long, long way to go. But it is possible. And that's enough for me at this point.

No comments: