Thursday, August 28, 2008

Signs of hope

I was struck by this interview with a disappointed Hillary Clinton supporter at the DNC following Clinton's speech there.



Three things I take from this clip.

First, I feel awful for this lady. She's obviously a very principled person and struggling mightily with her grief and her commitment as a good citizen.

Secondly, I'm proud as an American that not only have we reached the point where her political views are no longer presumed to fall along racial lines but also that she was able to follow another woman to such heights in our presidential race. That's very exciting stuff to me and should be for all of us, regardless of our political stripe.

Third, I want to emphasize that we did not get to that point by accepting status quo conservatism on social issues. Many rights that modern conservatives take as a given were fought against tooth and nail by their fathers and grandfathers only 30-40 years ago.

5 comments:

Mike Wilhelm said...

I admire the fact that she is courageous enough and willing to admit that Obama is not experienced enough to be President of the United States.

I am embarrassed that our country is so backwards (or at least the Democrats are) that they couldn't nominate someone with more qualifications.

There are dozens of African-Americans (on both sides of the aisle) with more experience and qualifications to be POTUS! The guy was a State Senator four years ago.

His only "qualifications" are that he looks good for television and can read a teleprompter.

He said that he didn't know what age a person attains human rights. He said it was "above his pay grade". Ironically, he was correct. To me he admitted that he was not qualified to be POTUS when he said that.

Sharp said...

I'll give you that.

Mike Wilhelm said...

Thanks. I guess I had to get that off my chest. It was pent up inside of me for quite a while now. ;o)

Sharp said...

When Cara asked why you posted that, I knew why.

I don't think Obama is quite the empty suit that you do. And I do agree with him wholeheartedly on many things he spoke about in his acceptance speech. (The Palin announcement sort of interrupted my posting on that for now). But he is without executive experience. Something Palin does have.

Mike Wilhelm said...

I think comparing Obama's experience to Palin's misses the point, but we will hear a lot about that. If I was a Democrat, I would feel much more comfortable with a Biden-Obama ticket.

As a non-party conservative guy, I prefer Palin to McCain. But, I think the fact that McCain heads the ticket makes a lot of sense from an experience standpoint.

Speaking of the word "standpoint", that reminds me we are just over 24 hours away from the Tide's first game.